Sankt Emmeram

Sat, 2010-09-25 17:54
Sunday
27. June 2010
The monastery of Sankt Emmeram was founded in 739 AD, on the gave of the Franconia martyr Emmeram of Regensburg.
The monastery became a center of medieval book illumination and, during the renaissance, of the study of natural sciences. From 1731 the abbey was refurbished by the Asam brothers in high baroque style.
When the monastery was dissolved in 1812 the buildings were handed over to the Princely House of Thurn and Taxis, couriers of the Emperor and a key player in the development of the postal services in Europe in the 16th century. The family still lives in the palace of Sankt Emmeram and is considered as one of the richest in Germany.

Location

Regensburg
Germany
49° 0' 56.826" N, 12° 5' 33.3996" E